Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Departure of Captain Obvious

Fridays are normally causes for celebration. Or if not "celebration" per se, at least relief paired with a small bit of joy. However, on Friday morning I was dealt a devastating blow, in what was probably the second-longest conversation between myself, and Rachel, my Korean Teacher.* The news was that our favorite student, Peter, AKA Peter Rabbit, AKA Peter Pan, AKA Peter Pumpkin Eater, AKA Captain Obvious, was leaving our school.


I'll let you guess which one is him.

I was already upset about the new school, but this is easily the worst news of all. It's amazing how I could gain such a strong affection for a student that I've only known for a few months. No, Peter is not the only one I care about, but he is special. Were he a pro-athlete, an ESPN commentator would always be going on about his "intangibles." Is he the best student in the class? No. The smartest? No. Hardest working? Not a chance. He's a good student, but not top-tier. On the other hand, he's among the sweetest and happiest, and hands-down the funniest.

All of my kids are unique in their own ways, but he's the lifeblood, the heartbeat, that makes the Grizzlies class go. In my time as a teacher, I've noticed how important student leadership is to a class. If the smart, popular kid is a troublemaker, the class will be difficult. If the smart, popular kid is a total goofball (e.g. Peter), the class is going to be easy going and fun. I don't know how the Grizzlies will act with this power vacuum, nor can I say with any authority who will take the reigns of leadership.

I try to console myself with the knowledge that this day was inevitable. He was going to leave the school eventually, and even if he had stayed on until the end of the semester, next month, he would have almost certainly ended up in a new class. It is the reality of teaching, students come and students go. Some will go with hardly a notice, and others will leave an indelible mark. My only hope is that I can leave that same mark, as many of my favorite teachers did for me.

Several students gave me birthday and/or Christmas cards. Here's what Peter wrote:

To: Marx Jack Teacher,
Thank you teacher! I love you. Thank you for teaching me.

From: Peter Choi

No Peter, thank you.

*The longest conversation, for the record, was after she had had too much wine during our office Christmas party. She normally avoids speaking English at any great length, but that night, it was flowing like the aforementioned wine. This was the conversation where I learned that Christine (my other Korean Teacher) was not just her sister, but her TWIN. And then she got mad at me for not knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment